Herbarium of the IRD Noumea, New Caledonia (NOU)

Founded in 1963, the Herbarium of the IRD Noumea (NOU) is a regional herbarium, occupying a room of 85 m² dedicated to collections. The samples are stored in wooden racks. Fruit specimens are stored in plastic containers. The silicate and alcohol specimens are stored in a refrigerator. The herbarium collection consists of approximately 85,000 specimens of vascular plants, including 700 types (mainly isotypes). 90% of the collection is dedicated to the flora of New Caledonia and the remaining 10% of the flora of other Pacific regions (Australia, Fiji, New Zealand, Vanuatu, Wallis & Futuna). The collection also includes 400 fruit specimens and hundreds of samples conserved in silicate and alcohol. The taxonomy is based on the taxonomic database “Florical” of the indigenous flora of New-Caledonia (Morat et al., in press).
Contacts: Sandrine Isnard, sandrine.isnard@ird.fr
Collection Type: Preserved Specimens
Management: Data snapshot of local collection database
Last Update: 29 January 2016
Digital Metadata: EML File
Rights Holder: Institut de recherche pour le développement (IRD)
Access Rights: not-for-profit use only
Herbarium of the IRD Noumea
Botany and Applied Ecology Department
Institut de Recherche pour le Développement
Boite Postal A5
Nouméa Cedex,    98848
New Caledonia
[687] 26 09 28
Collection Statistics
  • 54,322 specimen records
  • 42,747 (79%) georeferenced
  • 228 families
Extra Statistics